Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Thoughts Exactly regarding Ergo Proxy

Lately, I’ve been watching Ergo Proxy. At first I had no clue as to what the anime’s all about. I haven’t read any synopsis for it either (at least I can’t remember reading any of them). Well, Reich recommended the anime and provided me the material so I tried it out. At first I thought it was weird and well, boring since there’s nothing much going on the first episode. There isn’t a lot of action, no humor, plots too vague (seriously, I didn’t get to understand the plot and the things the characters are talking about until the later episodes, haha maybe it’s just me ^_^), the main character’s well… as what Lil described him, boring face, and it made me think--some boring personality perhaps, so I got pretty sleepy at the start of the show. I thought of dropping it, but my friend said that Vincent Law gets better looking on the third episode, haha well I believe it’s something worth watching so I continued the anime and now I’m glad I did.

I started getting into the anime the moment I saw Pino, the little infected autoreiv. She’s so cute and I just love her. It’s good the creators decided to have her in the show. She’s my favorite character in the anime by the way. Ok, I’ve only seen half of the whole series (I will be watching the rest later) and so far so good. I get to understand a lot of things and the show gets more interesting after every episode.

Quick briefing… Ergo Proxy’s plot happens on a futuristic scenario. The world seems to have crumbled and people can only live securely on places called domes. The world outside the dome is actually very dirty, erm… it’s not very good. The story revolves around the character Vincent Law, he looks very very very lame at first, but he gets to look better on the later parts, episode three to be exact. Well not really very good looking, but much better than his first appearance. Anyways, along with him is the Administrator’s granddaughter, Lil Mayer (I love her eye shadow). What the two of them have in common or how the two of them are related is not known until the later episodes where Daedelaus referred to the proxy as Lil.

Proxies, as I can recall, are creatures that are far greater than human beings. They aren’t mechanical like the entourages or the autoreivs but they are considered immortal and terrifyingly strong. Since they live way way longer than humans can, it is all right to assume that they are also much more knowledgeable.

Later on it is revealed that Proxies can also take the form of human beings and that the main character, Vincent Law is actually a proxy called Ergo Proxy—the proxy of death. I haven’t typed it in yet, but there are different types of Proxies, Vincent managed to meet two, although he lost his memory which was his decision, as explained by the Proxy of Knowledge whom he killed btw. Actually, there was something yaoi-ish on that scene. You see, the guy who was the Proxy of Knowledge’s lover Senekisu or something anyways she was the Proxy of Moonlight (or he), all right, it was mentioned that proxies don’t have gender so, not entirely yaoi, but since Vincent takes the form of a human guy and the Proxy of Knowledge also takes the form of a human guy, it’s more or less yaoi. So I take the side of yaoi (yeah, my writings totally messed up). I love the scene wherein the blondie (Knowledge Proxy) said that he could love Vince and attempted to kiss his hand, I was almost almost going to scream KYAAAA! Until Vincent took his hand away and said that he doesn’t remember anything. Honestly, I would have preferred the guy and Vincent over Lil and Vincent if Vincent haven’t killed the guy, but since he did and the story seems to point out (Just my speculation actually, I’ll know if I hit the bulls eye after I finish the show) that Lil is the other proxy who helped Ergo Proxy loose all his memories. The Knowledge Proxy said that the proxy’s name was Mados or something, I know it starts with ‘M’, anyways, he told Vincent, that to take away all his memories, that proxy must have loved him. And if that proxy is indeed Lil, I wouldn’t say anything else to tamper their love.

The only thing about the story that disappoints me so far is WHY DO PROXIES HAVE TO KILL EACH OTHER!? It would be better--so much better if they’d join forces, build a community of some sort, they’re intelligent, they could create a great community and they can fight together to defeat those who thinks ill or plans terrible things on them. OK this is just a personal opinion, please please please don’t get angry at me. Besides, this post is made before I am able to finish the anime so I might change my opinion later.

Come to think of it, I think it’s better to finish the whole anime before making too much blabbers, me sorry… but I’ve already typed this much, so I’ll be posting this ok?

Anyways to rate the anime (just until the twelfth episode, I’ve only seen until there, but I’ll be watching more later, like probably after I finish this post(?)):

The animation is excellent!! Definitely one of the best I’ve seen so far. The plot’s sort of unclear at first, but just hang around and you’ll turn to understand it and apparently get to want more of the anime. The characters, well I’d say interesting, you know all of the characters are mysterious and when you find out something about them you get all the while more interested about their backgrounds or real face. Ergo Proxy is in my opinion a philosophical type of anime, it’s not much of an action type, as a matter of fact there aren’t many action scenes in the show. The brutality level from one to five, with five being the highest brutality rate, would be 2, there are bloodstains yes, but how those bloodstains got there isn’t shown so it’s easy to watch, no need to close your eyes for those who cannot take hard anime violence like myself. The anime sort of reminds me of Bubblegum crisis Tokyo 2040, you know, infected mechs, people assigned to eliminate the infected mechs, stuffs like that, but the story’s different of course since it focuses more on Proxy’s and the mystery behind them rather than the eradication of defective technology (anyway, just to note, the virus on autoreivs aren’t that bad, they just obtain feelings so I feel bad for them when the authority hunts them down. The virus tends to make them cuter btw, check Pino, she’s sooooooooooooooooooooooo adorable).

So for now, I’ll be watching more of it!!! :D haha!! I want to see more of Pino, and I’d like to see if some of my speculations are correct. It’s a good anime by the way, it makes you think… :D and many thanks to Reich for recommending the anime to me and for the files… Thank you so much… :D I’ll be watching more, Ja!!

No comments: